Saturday

Digging For Your Dream

It's not personal,
but the things you want aren't important to me.
Your life is not what I dreamed it would be.
You should have been a lawyer;
maybe then your other life decisions would be more acceptable.
Then again, probably not.
I thought I wanted you to be less like me,
but I changed my mind.
The more like me you are,
the less like yourself you can choose to be,
and then your life can turn out like mine.
I just want what's best for you.

I've been where you are,
I know what's going to happen,
and if you don't take my advice,
then someday you'll look back and realize I was right.
I don't want that to happen.
Well, maybe a little,
but I would never admit that.
It's nothing personal, just remember that
I have more life experience than you.
The obvious conclusion being that
I know how you should live your life.
You know I don't want to make you mad,
right?
I just want you to be happy.

For the unofficial record,
your personal life is determined by my assumptions.
I asked you a question three weeks ago.
Your answer means you don't have friends.
As I've told you before, religious worship is the
only way for your social life to be fulfilling,
but you don't have a religion.
So no, you're not spiritual enough to have friends.
But don't take it personally.
I'm just telling you what I've observed,
without any real thought for the
weak trust I'm destroying
or the insecure feelings I'm tearing down.

But, but, but.
It's nothing personal but oh yes it is.
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
They keep coming but they're not mine.
Meaningless pseudo-apology
meets omnipotent selfishness,
and maybe this is how it's supposed to be,
but I hope not.

Maybe I hope for too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment